I usually start my day at 6.30am but since the Christmas break I don’t quite want to emerge from my bed until the sun is up which is nearer to 8am so all the emails that are talking about New Year, New You, New Start are not quite resonating with me. Do you feel the same?
When I look outside my window the trees are finally bare and nature is clearly in a dormant state.
Winter is the time to reflect, to be gentle with yourself, to nourish and restore your body.
The natural season for new beginnings is Spring so don’t beat yourself up if you have not quite set your intentions for the year ahead or if you are still emerging from the holiday period.
Give yourself permission to be calm and reflect.
Here are 4 questions to help you reflect on 2017 with a few example answers for inspiration…
1. What is do you feel was your biggest achievement in 2017? What made you feel proud?
- eating breakfast (not skipping it)
- beating my personal best
- staying healthy during the Christmas break
- successfully coping with your children leaving home for university or children moving back home
2. What were your most meaningful moments?
- My surprise birthday party with long lost friends
- A quiet cup of tea and self-reflection
- A weekend break with good friends
3. What 3 lessons did you learn in 2017?
- I can’t do it all myself; sometimes I need to ask for help
- Putting neat lemon essential oil in the bath stings!
- My body does not like….
- My body needs good rest and relaxation time to stay healthy
- My body loves ‘me time’ ….
4. If you could go back to 2017 and live the year all over again what would you do differently?
- Changed jobs sooner
- Moved house
- Exercised more often
- Made more time for me
- Ate less chocolate
So once you have had some quiet time to reflect on the above 4 questions below I’ve highlighted 4 key areas of wellbeing that you may wish to contemplate to help you get a feel for what you want your 2018 to look like…but there’s no rush…remember it’s still Winter!
To help you focus I’ve written some statements under each of the 4 key well being areas. See if one in particular resonates with you or just make up your own.
Notice how each statement is written using positive language and avoids negatives that your subconscious will not hear. E.g. always say “Remember” rather than “Don’t Forget” – the word ‘don’t’ is not always acknowledged by your subconscious.
Physical Health & Wellbeing
I exercise at least 3 times a week
I take care of my skin daily, cleansing, toning and moisturising
I take care of my health through good nutrition
I have regular massages to reduce the negative effects that work stress is causing me
I drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep myself hydrated and my body nourished
Emotional Health & Wellbeing
I allow myself to express my emotions – crying, laughing, feeling exhilaration, feeling joy
Emotionally I feel stable
I believe in myself
I worry less by concentrating on results I want rather than just problems
Spiritual Health & Wellbeing
I do an act of kindness every day
I nourish my spiritual self with positive affirmations daily
I forgive others and I forgive myself
I make time to meditate regularly
I make time for spiritual reading
Environmental Health & Wellbeing
My home is organised, I know where to find everything
My home is uncluttered and I feel I have space to breathe
My workspace is welcoming and organised
I enjoy walking in nature
I take regular breaks and enjoy my surrounding environment
If you read any of the statements and wish it was true try this little exercise….
Set a timer for just 5 minutes and write down a conscious stream of all the ways, ideas, little steps you could take to get you closer to your achieving that intention, closer to you reading that statement and it being true.
A final thought, 2017 was an my busiest year yet so the one question I keep asking myself now is ‘What can I do to make my life easier?
So what can YOU do to make your life easier?
- Employ a cleaner or do a cleaning schedule so you don’t let it all build up
- Prepare one pot meals that are freezable so you don’t need to cook fresh food every day or end up eating too many take aways
- Set some boundaries and start to say ‘No’ a little more often
I hope this blog is useful for you and if you would like me to help you achieve some of your self care goals and reduce your stress levels, make your life easier and help you be healthier in 2018 then please do get in touch. Call me on 020 8419 8143 or send me a message here.
I would love to hear your intentions for 2018 so whenever they come to you feel free to share below and take the first step towards your realising your dreams and reaching your goals.
All the best for 2018 and remember TAKE care of YOU!
Best wishes, Louisa x